Saturday, April 4, 2009

My conversations with a mumbai taxiwallah


Recently I had a chance to visit the economic capital of world's largest democracy Although my motives were different and I had no intentions even in my wildest of dreams to discuss the opinion of a taxiwallah about nano. But i think it was the long journey and the freshness of mumbai morning that motivated me for the discussion. I asked him about his perception about nano and the response i got was not expected by me at least. He declared it a toy car, and then all the journey from Navi mumbai to Andheri went in convincing him that its a real car and it runs on normal gasoline fuel.
He was really pissed of with the pricing which was now within reach of many people and expressed his worry about the loans that poor people will take to have the luxury of owning a "car". It was that moment that i felt so small and immediately a picture took its shape in my cerebrum part of brain. where a poor auto wallah is selling his auto to a moneylender just bcoz her wife wants a nano car. I could imagine people fighting on the ration shop over the subsidized petrol available for nano owners who are below poverty line.
Then a thought process started, whether the car was really needed or it was just a gimmick in the eyes of people of India that it is a car for the masses.
Although i could convince the taxiwallah about the benefits of nano over his old kaali peeli fiat which guzzles out smoke at the rate of a fully loaded truck. But, I could sense the attachment and affection of taxiwallah and his unwillingness to part with his old Fiat whatever may be the case.
I had reached andheri by now and was thinking about the interview which was going to happen in the next one hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment